CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

How to write to Sara:

Sara loves to get letters!

Sorella Sara Leckie
The Italy Rome Mission
Piazza Carnaro, 20
00141 Roma
ITALIA

For more details regarding mail, go to the following link:



Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Email from Sara 8/26/09

Livorno!!

Cara famiglia mia!!!

Wowsers! Well, I must have been enjoying my time here in Pistoia a little too much, because I’m heading out to Livorno. I’m excited to finally have the opportunity to see the ocean and I’m excited to serve with my new companion, Sorella Cheesman, but man-oh-man, will I miss Pistoia, and Sorella Stephenson!

As far as the past week has gone, people are finally starting to come back after their vacations, and it’s cooling down just a little little bit.

I’ll start off with last our last p-day. We had planned to go to Pinocchio Park. It’s in a little city called Collodi, which is a little less than 30 minutes from Pistoia. The only thing is that the closest train stop is in a city called Pescia, which come to find out is about 5 km from Collodi. We however, had been informed prior to going that it was only a 10-15 minute walk. Well, I don’t know if you’ve ever tried to walk 5 km in 10 minutes, but it’s not exactly possible. We were in a pretty big group. 8 missionaries and a new convert, walking allong the road at about 1:30 in the afternoon, the temperature was definately right around 100 F, and there is no lack of humidity here. Despite the fact that none of us really knew exactly where we were going and very hot, it was actually really fun. Even when we got to the park and found out it was 11 Euro and decided that was too much to pay because we only had about an hour at that point before we would have to head back to Pistoia. So we explored the area a little bit, ate a late lunch, and then waited for the bus to take us back to the train station. It was a fun day.

The Itala family continues to amaze me. The whole family is just rock solid in the gospel, even if Piera is the only technical “member.” Piera is such a good example and will be such a strength for not only the youth here, but also the adults. I’m pretty sure there hasn’t been a Sunday yet since she was bapitzed that she hasn’t had some kind of assignment. Francesca, the mom, is about ready to pop and infact I think they are inducing labor today. Hopefully we will be able to see Baby Elisabeth tonight before I leave for transfers tomorrow. I really look forward to coming back and visiting them someday.

We had a really great activity with some of the youth and a few investigators. We actually just had a spiritual thought and played ultimate frisbee, but they loved it so much. They dont’ really have the opportunity to have weekly mutual nights and activities very often so it was great to see them having so much fun.

There are so many wonderful people here in Pistoia, and it will be hard to leave. I feel like I’ll be leaving a large portion of my heart here, but I guess I’ll just have to find another large portion to leave in Livorno. I’m excited to serve there. I’ve heard so many wonderful things about the branch and apartment, etc. There’s also an american base pretty close, so we can get some peanut butter and brown suger =) .

We have an English class here, there is a dual purpose. One to find people to teach, and another to do service. It works great, but only when people come. We’ve been working pretty hard lately to get people there and last week we had 15 new people and there should be more again this week. It’s such a great tool to find people. We discussed as a district the advantages and disadvantages to spending some of our time doing “English class publicity” and it’s amazing how many people will listen to you when you offer them something where they can see the direct benefits. Whereas with the gospel, they can’t see the benefits or blessings and don’t want to give you the time of day to find out what they are. So many people are taught and baptized through the english class. I’m glad that there are more people coming who will hopefully feel the spirit and want to know mroe. Sorella Stephenson is amazing and I have complete confidence in her abilities to keep everything here moving inthe right direction. She really is amazing and I feel so blessed to have had the opportunity to learn from her. We were talking the other day about what she wants to do in the future, and i’m pretty sure that she has more ambition in her left hand than I do in my entire body. It’s amazing and somewhat exhausting to see/hear. But it makes me appreciate even more the differences that everyone has and how it has to be that way for the world to turn.

Alrighty, well I’m going to sign off now.. Hope this longer letter compensates a little bit for my crummy one last week. Love you all so so so much!!!!
Sorella Leckie

Our trek to Collodi


Me and Sorella Stephenson in Collodi


Sorella Stephenson, Annalisa, Me, and Annalisa's 102 year old Nonna.


My district for transfer 7. Anz Billings, Hoopes, Me, Sorella Stephenson.


The Itala family... plus a few other relatives.

0 comments: